Bay Area Brony Spectacular
A My Little Pony Fan-run Convention
March 29 - March 31, 2024
Hyatt Regency SFO
Ready to show off your cosplay to the world? Come join the BABSCon 2024 Cosplay Contest!
BABSCon Cosplay Contest Guidelines
- Eligibility: The BABSCon Cosplay Contest is open to all attendees and guests with a valid badge. Contestants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian present during the competition. Contestants under the age of 13 can enter the Youth category.
- BABSCon staff members are not eligible to participate in the contest but are welcome to participate in the exhibition.
- ICG Guidelines Compliance: This contest adheres to the International Costumers' Guild (ICG) guidelines. Participants are expected to listen to and adhere to instructions given by the con staff at all times.
- Registration: Contestants must register online, no later than one hour before the contest begins. Space is limited, so early registration is encouraged as we may have to close registration early.
- Categories: The contest will be divided into six categories:
Contestants must select the appropriate category during registration based on their experience level and costume assembly method.
- Youth: Anyone 12 and under may enter this category
- Novice: You have made at least 10-40% of your cosplay and have never won Best in Show in any cosplay competition.
- Journeyman: You’ve made 40-80% of your cosplay, and you may have placed in previous contests, but you have never won Best in Show or first place in the Master division at any other cosplay contests.
- Master: Anyone may enter this category.
- Assembled: You’ve made less than 10% of your cosplay but found/bought the pieces to bring it together.
- Presentation: No prejudging is required; This category is open to all cosplayers regardless of if you made it or not. You will be judged based solely on stage presence.
- Originality: Costumes must be primarily handcrafted by the contestant(s) for the Youth, Novice, Journeyman, and Master categories. Assembled category costumes can utilize a combination of purchased, commissioned, and handmade elements. Contestants must disclose this information during registration and will be judged accordingly. As this is a My Little Pony convention, contestants are encouraged to cosplay as characters from My Little Pony, but other cosplays will still be allowed to enter, provided they abide by convention guidelines.
- Performance: Each contestant or group will have an opportunity to show off their cosplay on stage to showcase their costume.
- Prop Guidelines: Props are allowed but must comply with the following rules:
- No live steel or sharp objects.
- No projectiles or devices that can launch projectiles.
- Props must be lightweight and manageable by the contestant(s) without the assistance of any con staff.
- All props must comply with the convention rules and regulations
- Judging Criteria: Contestants will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Craftsmanship: Quality of construction, materials used, and attention to detail.
- Accuracy: How closely the costume resembles the character being portrayed.
- Overall Impact: First impression of the cosplay.
- Skill: The level of skill required in the techniques you use to create the cosplay*
*note: depending on where you place yourself, judges may bump you to a different category based on how you score here.
- Awards: The following awards will be given:
- Best in Show
- Best Master Class
- Best Journeyman
- Best Novice
- Best Youth
- Best Assembled
- Best Presentation
- Judges' Choice awards
- Code of Conduct: All contestants must adhere to the event's general code of conduct, including respecting other attendees, staff, and judges. Unsportsmanlike behavior or harassment of any kind will result in disqualification and possible removal from the convention.
- Photography & Media: By participating in the contest, contestants grant BABSCon the right to use their images and recordings for promotional purposes.
- Amendments: BABSCon reserves the right to amend these rules at any time. Any updates or changes will be communicated to registered contestants as soon as possible. By registering for BABSCon Cosplay Contest, contestants acknowledge that they have read, understood, and agree to abide by these rules.