Bay Area Brony Spectacular is an unofficial fan-run convention celebrating My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic run under the direction of Harmonious Elements. The staff of Bay Area Brony Spectacular encourages press and media organizations as well as fandom media coverage! Please read below for our press policies and application.
Media/Press badges grant base attendee level access to BABSCon events, programming, and venue along with the ability to request and record interviews with attendees, staff, and guests (with consent and approval), for all 3 days of the convention. In order to qualify for a press pass you must agree to and adhere to BABSCon’s press policies. The link to apply is at the bottom of this page.
- It is better to ask for permission than forgiveness.
- Any form of coverage of an attendee who has not explicitly given his or her permission is not allowed. Not everyone at a convention wants his or her image or words put up for all to see. This rule exists for the benefit of our attendees. Crowd shots are permitted but again, do not focus on an individual without his or her permission.
- A press badge grants you early access to programming but not to the front-row reserved seating (reserved for sponsor memberships). A press badge does not give you preferred or early access to autographs, children’s programming, sponsor/premium membership only events, such as VIP meet-and-greets, nor any event/panel that requires an additional fee.
- A press badge grants you access to interview opportunities for our Guests of Honor. There is limited time for interviews in our GoHs’ schedules, but we will work hard to facilitate interviews. There may be other factors that affect interviews, including contractual obligations, so not all GoHs will be available for interviews. Please see the interview request form and interview policy at the bottom of the page to request interviews.
- Recording or photography of children’s-only programming is strictly forbidden.
- We will allow video/audio recording of our panels ONLY IF no panelists object; recording is at the discretion of our guests and panelists. Our goal is to allow our panelists to be comfortable presenting their material. The facilitator should be approached prior to the event starting, not after.
- Photography/Video recording of the vendor hall or artist alley is only at the individual vendor/artist’s discretion. As some vendors would prefer not to be photographed/recorded, ask first, and only with their permission may you record them.
- Video recording is allowed within the Foyer, Game Rooms, and common areas of the convention.
- We discourage the use of handheld recorders placed on the tables. It doesn’t provide good audio and can be a distraction to the presenter. However, it will be allowed only at the discretion of the panelist.
- Fan media passes can be revoked by the PR/Marketing Director, Assistant Director, and Convention chair at any time, without notice, and for any reason.
- Panel recordings should be uploaded only after the convention.
Failure to follow the press or attendee policy may result in the removal of your badge and con privileges. If you have any questions regarding our policy please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside (non-MLP fandom) press/media must also submit to email@example.com, along with the press application, the following items:
A copy of your business card with name, title, and media outlet‘s logo, and
A copy of your driver‘s license or government-issued photo identification and
A byline article or URL from your publication written by you and published within the last three months (the copy must clearly show the name of your publication and your byline), or
A letter from your editor (on letterhead) verifying your assignment to cover the convention; if an editor is not available, submit a letter of intent explaining your purpose for attending the convention.
MLP fandom press/media will be required to provide coverage of BABSCon news or updates prior to the convention in exchange for media passes. This includes the posting of official press releases for BABSCon sent by our Marketing and PR Staff and the honoring our requests for modifications of released content.
Press applications must be completed on or before March 30th for consideration.
At the request of the BABSCon Guests of Honor, BABSCon's Media Liaison will act as an intermediary between you, the attending press, and the Guests of Honor in terms of interviews.
You may ask for interviews with our Community Guests or Guest Musicians to the guests personally. Please respect their decisions and wishes.
To make the process easier we ask that you email firstname.lastname@example.org a list of your top 10 "most want to interview" Guests with the subject “Guest Interviews”. Availability varies by GoHs’ schedules, including days attending, contractual obligations, agent's input, and GoH's personal preference. There is no forcing a GoH to participate in an interview. Interview slots are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and no one is guaranteed an interview.
- All interview requests, should they need to be changed, added to, or canceled at con time need to go through BABSCon’s Media Liaison.
- The GoH's VIP liaison must be with the GoH at all times including being present during the interview.
- If a GoH is available for an interview before or after normal con hours, time and place is up to you and the GoH and his/her agent; however, a VIP liaison or PR member must be present. Please be aware that many of the GoHs have agendas outside normal con hours.
- If one particular guest is highly requested then a press conference style interview may be performed.
- The GoH has the final say when it comes to interviews. If at any time they wish to cancel an interview you must honor that request. If a GoH wishes you to edit something out you must comply.
- Do not ask for interviews directly to the GoHs, their agents, or VIP relations staff.
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the immediate removal of your badge and press privileges.
These policies are subject to change at any time. We will make our best effort to notify the press when changes are made.
Interview decisions and times will be available at con time and could change at any time. The GoHs reserve the right to cancel at any time. If you have any questions please email email@example.com